WCGC Go for Grammar!
Applications for our 2019/20 programme HAVE NOW CLOSED
Westcliff High School for Boys’ 11 Plus Familiarisation Programme entitled “Go for Grammar!” run through its Westcliff Centre for Gifted Children (WCGC) was established in 2010. Since its inception nine years ago, over 4,500 local children have participated. Working closely with local primary schools to offer opportunities for bright children, primarily from disadvantaged backgrounds, the WCGC Go for Grammar! 11 Plus familiarisation programme for Year 5 boys and girls living within the School’s local priority catchment area (postcodes SS0 to SS9) provides a taste of what a grammar school education is like. In addition, parents are provided with practical information about the 11 Plus examination and how best to help their children prepare to sit the exam (see link to presentation below).
WCGC Go for Grammar! Programme 2019/20
The Go for Grammar! Programme itself consists of a series of themed ‘workshop’ events which take place on Saturdays throughout the academic year. Each workshop has an overall theme and will include Mathematics and English tutorial sessions, run by members of the Westcliff High School for Boys’ teaching staff, covering material that is relevant to 11 Plus examination questions. Workshop themes for the 2019/2020 academic year are:
- Laedership and Adventure - 12 October 2019 - A series of exciting outdoor tasks run by cadets from our Combined Cadet Force;
- Creative – 16 November 2019 - Sessions in Art, Music, Technology and Design to learn new creative skills;
- Humanities - 18 January 2020 - Activities in Philosophy, Volcanoes and World War II to engage and challenge;
- Science - 7 March 2020 - Looking at the science of living things, chemical reactions and forces or electricity, with sessions in Biology, Chemistry and Physics;
- Multi-Sports – 2 May 2020 - Action-packed summer sporting opportunities that are fun for all.
The workshops commence at 9.00am and finish at 3.00pm. Children attending will need to bring a packed lunch on the day. To offer as many local Year 5 children as possible the opportunity to attend a workshop, each child will be offered one workshop place following receipt of an on-line application (see below). Please select your child’s choice of workshop in order of preference when applying. We will do our best to accommodate each child’s preferences. Workshop attendance is priced at £10. There will be no charge to attend for those children in receipt of Pupil Premium Funding.
Online applications open in July 2019 and close on 30 September 2019. We look forward to welcoming you and your child to Westcliff High School for Boys.
WCGC Go for Grammar! Team email@example.com